- Corn salad is one crop that can be grown year round, even in cooler climates. Just make sure to offer a level or protection during winter frost.
- Corn salad is also more commonly known as lambs lettuce or Mache.
- Two main varieties:
- large leaf, floppy light green
- upright leaf, dark green
Sowing & Growing
- Corn salad is not a fussy plant when it comes to soil, it will handle most soil conditions.
- Corn salad will grow in full sun or partial shade but I recommend planting in full sun for the best harvests.
- Sow corn salad outside from April onwards.
- Sow 1cm deep and thin to 10cm between plants and 15cm between rows
- Weeds can be a problem when growing corn salad, make sure to keep on top of the weeds and also water regularly.
Between each plant
Between each row
- There are two main ways to harvest corn salad.
- The first and my favourite is cut and come again. Slice off the larger outside leaves leaving the smaller leaves to grow back.
- The other method is to slice off whole plant just above the base and wait for the plant to re-sprout