- Most of these beans require a warmer climate, if you live in a cooler climate you will need a greenhouse or polytunnel before trying to grow.
- These varieties are not overly beginner friendly.
- A fantastic bean to grow however they do need a warmer
climate. If you cannot offer them a warmer climate it is
probably not worth trying to grow this bean.
- They will need a summer temperature of 20-30C
- There are a select few newer varieties that will tolerate
slightly lower temperatures.
- To make the common edamame beans you find in food
establishments simply boil soya beans and add some salt.
- They are a fantastic source of protein.
- They grow the same way as French Beans.
- Better known as butter beans.
- They grow the same way as French Beans if you are
growing bush varieties.
- They grow the same way as runner beans if you are
growing climbing varieties.
- Lima Beans will grow in slightly lower temperatures
than soya beans making growing them more possible
in cooler climates. They will need 20C to germinate so
sow indoors or in a propagator.
- Lima beans will need to grow in full sun to reach their
Yard long Beans
- In cooler climates a greenhouse or polytunnel is
essential and even with the aid of these it can still be
- It is very hard to get the beans to even half a yard.